Health Care Compliance and Institutional Privacy

Compliance Reporting

How to Report Compliance Concerns

We are all responsible for compliance. This includes asking questions if you’re not sure what to do and raising concerns if you see something you don’t think is right. Identifying a problem early can prevent a small problem from becoming big. It’s also the right thing to do.


Where to best raise a concern depends on your particular concern and situation.

1. Contact your supervisor
2. Contact the appropriate department
3. Compliance Issues
4. HIPAA Violation issues
5.?Compliance & Ethics Hotline
6. Government Agency?

1. Contact your supervisor

The best place to raise a concern typically begins within your own supervisory channels, beginning with an immediate supervisor. Usually, the local unit is the most familiar with the issues and parties and best equipped to address or raise a concern to a higher level. Many units have also identified specific people to handle certain kinds of problems.

2. Contact the appropriate department

Sometimes, because of the subject matter or due to work or personal relationships, concerns may best be raised first through a specialized central office. Examples include the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action for concerns about discrimination or sexual harassment, Athletics Compliance for possible NCAA violations, or Human Resources.

3. Compliance issues

Compliance issues should be reported directly to the Compliance Office at 419-530-8718.

4. HIPAA violation issues

All questions and concerns related to HIPAA violations should be reported as soon as possible to 419-383-4270.

5.?Compliance & Ethics Hotline

6. Government Agency

If you follow the 5 steps above and still feel that your concerns are not being addressed you do have the right to contact a government agency.? These could include the Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, or Ohio Department of Health.?

For any concerns involving patients and quality of care the Joint Commission can be reached at 1-800-994-6610 or

Last Updated: 1/6/21